Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Homemade degreaser

So my screw up has gotten me probably the best degreaser ever. I have never seen anything like it. I wasn't able to get pictures for my skeptical fan, but I'm telling you this is great. So let me tell you the back story on how this happened.  I decided that I'm going to start making my own cleaners.  We live out in the country and have a septic system,  so I wanted something that would be more septic safe in my drains.

So I started researching....

Found some great ones, crazy ones,  not so septic safe ones,  and the why would I stop buying store stuff for that ones....then the cleaning fairy decided to show me some mercy and I found a site that had everything from laundry soap to deodorant,  from shampoo to carpet freshener. She had even calculated roughly how much a year you would save. For example,  did you know making your own dishwasher detergent saves you approximately $100.00 a year. Wow!

Now I'm not going to go all crazy (yet) and start making my own deodorant or toothpaste, but I am going to go green on the cleaning stuff. Not to mention I am also starting a garden, I have chickens for eggs, and we do as much organic as we can. We aren't "those" kind of people...lol when you find out you're allergic to life, it makes you step back and change things.  Basically allergy test said we were allergic to everything...soooo organic it ain't...as my husband says.

Back on point, so I was cleaning the stove with ammonia and making an all purpose kitchen spray.  I wasn't REALLY paying attention....which you should....and I did half of that solution and half of the window cleaner solution.  So when it didn't kill me, blow up, or anything like that I decided to fix it by adding dawn soap and green food color. I tested it on my stove the grime came up easy. I thought well that was because I was cleaning with the bleach solution and all that before.....

The big test...the mason jar bacon grease

I saw that the lid on the mason jar had dirt on it from earlier in the day.  (If you know TX weather then you know the dirt bows all the time) so dirt and grease equals icky. I took the spray and srayed the lid, took a paper towel and wiped it clean. NO SCRUBBING! The jar?  The same way...spray and wipe down...crazy...

I'm in love with my accidental degreaser! Now I didn't add essential oil or anything. I don't mind the vinegar smell....oh all this including the bottle can be found at Wal-Mart.  I would say total supplies costs are maybe 5 bucks. Makes 48 oz. You're looking at a minimum of 3 bottles of cleaner out of the rubbing alcohol. So yeah,  you're saving money. I don't know what essential oils cost, but its for the smell and the food coloring to so that you know the difference in different bottles. 

Here's the recipe: tweek to your preference
Makes 48 oz.

12 oz White vinegar
4 oz of 91% rubbing alcohol
Teaspoon of dawn (or any other dish soap) I used dawn.
Fill rest of bottle with cold water.
Add few drops of food coloring and any essential oil if you want.

7 comments:

  1. this worked like a wonder! thank you so much. i was using a butter knife and dish soap and this was so much easier and more effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a problem. I love using it. Glad I could help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a problem. I love using it. Glad I could help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This solution is fantastic. Cleaning my grill grates is a breeze! Thank!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tried everything from every article - vinegar, baking soda, Dawn, baking soda cleaner, etc.. YOU are wonderful! My floors are no longer slippery. I could never find anything that worked. Thank you! I cleaned my stove with it. My wife is thrilled with me! I pour this on the bottom of my stove and applied baking soda and watched the magic. Simple and no elbow grease and I don't stink up my house by using the oven to burn everything off. My Olive Oil container is clean and no longer slippery! YOU DID IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for a wonderful read. I was wondering if you could write something possibly in the future about industrial degreaser, I know it’s quite an odd topic given that home cleaners and industrial ones are a lot different from each other.

      Delete